Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Destination Kauai : Day #1

When photographing a destination wedding, I always spend my first day documenting details of the area. It is a great way to get acclimated to the location and to adjust to the time zone change. Kauai is 3 hours earlier than Portland and because of an amazing night's sleep last night, I am becoming fully adjusted to "island time." For those of you who have travelled to Hawaii, you know exactly what I am talking about. Island time is a philosophy and a way of life around here where things happen when they are "supposed" to happen. For example, when I arrived at the airport late last night the woman at the Information booth suggested that I call Speedi Shuttle for transportation to the hotel. When I called, I was informed that a shuttle would arrive in 45 minutes. Not so speedy! I went back to the woman at the Information booth and told her I wanted to grab a taxi instead. She told me it was a wiser choice as Speedi Shuttle oftentimes does not even come by to pick you up even if you have a reservation. While climbing into the taxi that arrived just 2 minutes later, I thought to myself -- now why would she have even suggested that I call Speedi Shuttle in the first place -- that is when I realized I was on "island time."

So here I am living on "island time," getting acquainted with the area, and looking forward to the rehearsal dinner this evening where all the guests will have an opportunity to get together and celebrate this most amazing wedding experience. And by the way, "aloha" has already started to make it's way into my vernacular.













No comments: